Lighter prawn cocktail with avocado
This classic starter gets a punchy update from the Hairy Bikers in the form of fiery central American additions.
For the prawn cocktail
- 500g/1lb 2oz frozen Atlantic prawns, de-frosted, drained
- 150ml/5fl oz ready-made gazpacho
- 150ml/5fl oz low-fat crème fraîche
- 1 shallot, peeled, very finely diced
- 2 tomatoes, skins removed, flesh diced
- 1 red chilli, stalk removed, finely diced
- 6 radishes, trimmed, finely sliced
- small bunch fresh coriander leaves, chopped, plus extra sprigs to garnish
- 1 lime, juice and zest
- 8 dashes Tabasco
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 small baby gem lettuces, shredded
- 1 large ripe avocado, peeled, stone removed, flesh sliced lengthways
- 4 pinches cayenne pepper
- 4 large fresh cooked prawns, heads and shells intact
- 4 sprigs fresh coriander
For the prawn cocktail, mix together all of the prawn cocktail ingredients in a bowl until well combined. Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
To serve, divide the shredded lettuce equally among four serving dishes. Arrange the avocado slices on top, then spoon over the prawn cocktail mixture. Sprinkle over a pinch of cayenne pepper and garnish with a shell-on prawn and a sprig of coriander. Serve immediately.