Hoi An crispy beef
- Prep time
- 30 minutes to 1 hour
- Cooking time
- Less then 10 minutes
For the marinade
- 2 free-range eggs, beaten
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp palm sugar
- 2 tsp galangal, sliced into strips
- 1 tbsp root ginger, sliced into strips
- 3 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp rice wine or sake
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
For the beef
- 500g / 1lb 2oz beef fillet, thinly sliced across the grain
- sunflower oil or groundnut oil, for deep frying
- cornflour, for coating
Mix all the marinade ingredients together in a bowl and add the sliced beef. Marinate for as long as you can or overnight if possible.
For the beef, heat the oil in a deep, heavy-bottomed pan. It is ready when a breadcrumb that is dropped in will sizzle gently in it. (CAUTION: hot oil can be dangerous. Do not leave unattended.)
Dip the beef in the cornflour, then add to the oil and fry until slightly golden.
Don't be tempted to put lots of beef into the oil at once, but cook in batches.
Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen towel and serve immediately.