'A Big Soup'
The Big Soup is just 157 calories per portion - and we think that's just soup-er!
- 157 per serving
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 medium onion, finely sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 3 medium carrots
- 150g green beans
- 75g chorizo sausage, skinned and cut into 1cm slices
- 1 tsp hot smoked paprika
- ½ tsp flaked sea salt, plus extra to season
- 400g can of chopped tomatoes
- 1.5 litres chicken stock, fresh or made with 1 stock cube
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 400g can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 150g curly kale, thickly shredded
- freshly ground black pepper
Heat the oil in a large non-stick saucepan or a big flameproof casserole dish.
Add the onion and garlic and fry gently for five minutes until softened but not coloured, stirring often.
While the onion is frying, peel the carrots and slice them into rough, 1.5cm chunks.
Trim the green beans and cut them into pieces about 3cm long.
Add the chorizo, paprika and carrots to the pan with the sliced onion and cook over a low heat for two minutes, stirring until the chorizo begins to release its fat. Season with salt and lots of black pepper.
Tip the tomatoes into the same pan, add the stock and sugar, then turn the heat up to medium.
Bring the liquid to the boil. Reduce the heat slightly and leave the soup to simmer for 12 minutes.
Add the canned and fresh beans and the kale and bring it back to a gentle simmer.
Cook for 10 minutes until all the vegetables are just tender, adding a little extra water if the soup is looking too thick.
Season the soup with salt and black pepper and serve in deep bowls.