Chicken liver and almond pilaf
- Prep time
- Less then 30 minutes
- Cooking time
- 30 minutes to 1 hour
- 2 tbsp butter
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
- 2 tbsp flaked almonds
- 1 tbsp currants
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 450g / 1lb chicken livers, cleaned and finely chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- bunch flatleaf parsley, chopped
- bunch dill, chopped
For the rice
- 340g / 12oz long grain rice
- 850ml / 1.5 pints chicken stock
- saffron and flatleaf parsley, to garnish
Melt the butter in a pan, then add the garlic and onion and sweat for a few minutes. Stir in the pine nuts and currants and cook for 2 minutes. Add the allspice, basil and the chicken livers and brown lightly.
Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and add the fresh herbs. Remove from the pan and set aside.
For the rice, toss the rice in the buttery residue in the pan for a couple of minutes, pour over the stock and bring to the boil. Simmer gently until the rice has absorbed some of the stock. Carefully fold in the liver mixture. Cover with a lid and leave to stand for 15 minutes.
Fluff up with a fork and serve, garnished with saffron and parsley.