Prep time: 30 minutes to 1 hour
Cooking time: 10 to 30 minutes
- For the pastry:
- 180g / 6.5oz plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 100g / 3.5oz cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 50g / 2oz parmesan, grated
- 2 tsp thyme, leaves only
- 1 free-range egg yolk
- 1 tsp chilled water (more if needed)
- For the filling:
- 3 free-range eggs
- 150g / 5.5oz pancetta, cubed
- 250ml / 9fl oz creme fraiche
- 150g / 5.5oz Gruyere
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- For the pastry, sieve the flour into a mixing bowl. Add the butter, parmesan and thyme and rub into the flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the egg yolk and the water and mix to form a firm dough. Wrap the dough in cling film and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- On a floured surface, roll out the pastry to fit one large flan tin. Line the tin with the pastry, then place a circle of baking paper over the pastry and fill with baking beans.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Remove the beans and paper and return to the oven for five minutes.
- For the filling, place all the ingredients (except 50g/2oz of the Gruyere) into a large bowl and mix gently, to avoid filling the mixture with air.
- Spoon the filling into the pastry case and sprinkle the remaining Gruyere on top.
- Bake the quiche for 15 minutes, or until the filling is set. Serve hot or cold with a green salad.