Crunchy Palak Paneer
Prep time: Less then 30 minutes
Cooking time: 10 to 30 minutes
- #For the sauce.
- 2 tbsp ghee or vegetable oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 7.5cm/3in piece root ginger, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 whole red or green chilli
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 x 400g/14oz can tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp sugar
- 500g/1lb 2oz fresh spinach, washed
- 2 tbsp water
- #For the paneer.
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 50g/2oz semolina
- 200g/7oz paneer, cut into 1cm cubes
- vegetable oil, for shallow frying
- small handful coriander leaves, finely chopped, to garnish
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- For the sauce, heat the ghee or oil in a saucepan, add the onion and cook for about three minutes until soft. Add the ginger and garlic and cook for a further minute.
- Add the ground cumin, ground coriander, ground turmeric, whole chilli and salt. Stir over the heat to release the flavours of the spices.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and sugar and simmer for ten minutes.
- Meanwhile, for the paneer, place the garam masala and semolina in a large bowl and mix well.
- Place the cubed paneer into the bowl and coat well with the spiced semolina.
- Pour the vegetable oil into a deep frying pan to a depth of about 0.5cm. When hot, add the coated paneer and fry until crisp and golden.
- Add the washed spinach and two tablespoons of water to the tomato sauce, stir in and cook until the spinach wilts.
- Fold the paneer into the sauce.
- To serve, garnish with the coriander and squeeze over the lemon juice.